Imagine your front door automatically unlocking as you pull into the driveway, the A/C kicking on as it senses your presence, and your lights turning bright at a simple command: “I’m home.”
There may be no place like a “smart home,” but where do you start? Here are four gadgets that can turn any abode into a trendy tech haven that obeys your commands.
Ever leave your house and forget to adjust the temperature? The Nest Learning Thermostat lets you control temperature from your phone or tablet. It also learns your routine and works to make your home more efficient, saving time and money.
- Get recommendations than can lower your utility bill.
- See a breakdown of your energy history.
- Set schedules so the A/C isn’t blasting while you’re away.
Installing smart bulbs is an easy way to upgrade the lighting in your house. Philips Hue Smart Light Bulbs work with your existing fixtures and let you adjust colors and brightness from the mobile app.
- Match lighting to your routines: wake up to gradual light, or come home to a bright house after work.
- Choose from custom moods like Energize, Concentrate, or Relax.
- Set timers to reduce energy consumption.
Need help installing your lights? Check out our guide.
The August Smart Lock replaces the interior side of your deadbolt and uses your smartphone as the key. Use the August Home app to lock and unlock your door from anywhere.
- Set the door to automatically unlock when your phone is near and automatically lock when you leave.
- Give guests easy access to your home with virtual keys you assign to their phones.
- Keep a log of who enters and leaves your house, 24/7.
Learn more about how you can use an August Lock.
Wi-Fi cameras keep an eye on everything happening in and around your home, even when you’re not there. The Nest Cam is one of the most popular choices on the market (though not your only option).
- Stream live footage to your phone and store video in the cloud.
- Listen to what’s happening in your home and talk back using the microphone.
- Get alerts if Nest detects movement or a person entering the room.
If you want to make life even easier, use a smart assistant like Alexa or Google to connect all of your devices and control your house with your voice. (As a bonus, you can have fun impressing your dinner guests or freaking out your in-laws with your new electronic servant.)
These four products will raise your home’s IQ points dramatically.